Alma Webb served as a nurse during WW2, and my mother, Margaret Whitehead, served with her as a VAD in Abbottabad, India between 1945 and 1946. My mother described her in a letter:
“She has auburn hair, dark eyebrows, is only 5 ft 2 ins, and a real outdoor type. She has never disclosed her age, but must be nearing her forties, which surprises me as she is so energetic.”
My mother also mentioned that Alma had a brother, and a friend at Knockholt, Kent, which suggests that she was fron the south east.
After her tour in India, she went on to serve at the Royal Naval Hospital Haslar in Gosport.
My mother wrote a great deal about Alma in her letters to my father and it would be lovely to share this information with family members. I have been trying to find Alma's descendants or other relations, but as yet I have not succeeded.
I started by working through a long list of unmarried Alma Webbs listed in the General Register Office records. The Alma Webbs I still have to investigate are:
- Alma Marland Webb b. Stockport 1901
- Alma Florence Annie Webb, b. Greenwich 1905 (although this seemed the most likely her family feel certain that this is not the same Alma)
- Alma Whitehead Webb, b. Manchester 1905. My mother never mentioned Alma’s middle name. This Alma was a nurse throughout her life and even lived in Hampshire at one point. However, she does not appear to have had a brother.
- Alma Edith Webb b. Kensington 1906
- Alma Webb, b. Prescot 1911
Once I’ve exhausted all the options, I will have to consider whether the was born abroad, or whether Webb was her married name. My mother never mentioned that she was a widow, but it is quite possible, given the era.
Can you help me to find her?